Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been contacted by a Mr. Harrin (? ) on the 5th of

I have been contacted by a Mr. Ryan Harrin (? ) on the 5th of July '16 informing me that my claim for ' Bank charge refunds' has been approved. I was then told that the solicitor dealing with my case had been instructed to hand over the chi personally & that a solicitors fee will have to be paid through the post office, only,& a receipt obtained. The receipt had to be given to the solicitor on receipt of the chx. The following am I was again contacted with the good news that I was awarded a sum of £ 3,600 & that I had to deposit 10% of the award at the post office. At this stage, contrary to all advice from my family, I continued dealing with Mr Ryan. I was then contacted by Mr.Graham Robinson, the solicitor, who informed me that he had examined the chx. & it was for a larger sum, £13,800, which then got me thinking, why did he examine my chx, which would have been enclosed in an envelop add. to me. However, I was pleasantly surprised, at the new development, & I was told that he was going to confirm the validity of the chx. & call me to arrange the presentation for the following day, 7th of July. On the 7th am, 08.20, he called & asked me to deposit a further 10% of the new amount, he called it a tax,before the chx could be handed over. I refused to pay any more money as I did not have any more money to pay & that if he gave me the chx or that he could deduct the tax of the payment. He then said that he could not do this & that he would cancel the payment, which agreed to.
By the way the initial £ 360 deposited at the post office was sent to a fictitious name,made up by Mr. Ryan, was OLGA GALNYKINA OF THAILAND.
Further information, case ref. 11006009
T'phone #( Mr. Graham Robinson) ***********
Chx. For £ 3,600 #1100205
Initial contact by JC of Claims Advisory Group
Post Office receipt # *****
Paid by Nationwide Debit Card
Please contact me on *********** or***@******.***
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

What is your question with regard to this incident?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Zoey thank u for taking my case.
I don't actually have a question however,
I wish to bring this to ur attention so that any further damage can be done
Also to ask ur advice on what should I do next ?
Nationwide, my bankers, are not able to help.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

The site archives questions, so yours will be available to experts if we meet this situation again. Unfortunately, however, except for the names involved here, which change all the time, you fell for a standard advance fee fraud.

Any time you get an unsolicited message from someone with whom you have never dealt before and which contains news which is much too good to be true, it's going to be a scam.

You would never get official notification of any award or contest you actually won via email. And when you have really won something, the money they have set aside for you is -- if real -- already yours. You never have to pay anything up front in order to claim your winnings. As you rightly knew, you don't pay taxes on money you haven't received. You pay it on actual income.

The up front fee is the #1 sign of a scam and once you are asked for one, there is no possibility that you are dealing with a legitimate enterprise. Any legitimate fees or transfer expenses would be taken out of the money they already have and you'd get the rest free and clear. The only reason for the up front fee is that you had no money ever really coming to you. The whole incident was just designed to phish for some personal identifying information from you and to steal as much of your money as you'd be willing to send them to secure your supposed award.

Your bank won't be very helpful because you authorized the withdrawal from your account and they will, as you have already learned, deny liability. Unfortunately, also, the people who do this are professional thieves who use phony names and contact information to keep from getting caught.

If you can find out who and where they really are, you'd have legal recourse. You could sue for the return of your money or seek to have them prosecuted. But finding them is going to be a job for law enforcement. Report the fraud to your local police and to ActionFraud.police.uk. The only way to recover your funds would be if law enforcement can locate your scammers and bring them to justice.

I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the harsh reality of internet fraud where today's technology allows anybody to pretend to be anyone else on earth, when he are simply a thief hiding behind his conputer.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Zoey for ur comments I had resigned myself to being an old fool. My family adviced me about such scams but of course I know better, I have learned not to trust phone or Facebook enticements & pay more attention to family advice. I did suspect the fishy scam, but in a senior moment, let myself be seduced. " ce la vie " as ' Del Boy ' would say. Nice talking to u & hope I will be wiser in future. Regards.