Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been contacted by a lady from Benin republic saying

I have been contacted by a lady from Benin republic saying that she is a tru catholic and is dying from throat cancer and whishes that I take care of her $17,500,000 that she inherited from her husband who died last year.She is ready to give me 20% of the sum and I have to take the rest and give it to different charities she has given me the names. She sent me a copy of the deposit agreement her husband made with the bank saying that had his death the money goes to her and also a treasury department deposit certificate from UBA bank in Porto Novo Benin Republic. Now she is ready to transfer the money into my name but I do not know if this is a scam .She did tell me to release her dormsant acccount that I will have to pay something but did not say how much.What do you think ,as I don t want to get scammed being 69 yers old but have not given any passport information or anything else to make a transfer.She says she is not lying and is a god person
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

This is a popular scam, which is known all over the world as the "dying widow" fraud. Don't fall for this and cease all contact with these folks. Don't let the fact that she claims to be a true Catholic sway you. Scammers are sociopaths who will lie about anything, even faith in God, in order to get what they want, which is your money.

Here's how the scam works:

Out of the blue you're approached in an email by a so-called lawyer or banker from another country who asks you for your assistance with a legacy. You have never heard of the woman involved. The "lawyer" tells you, however, that you are chosen because you're so reliable, god-fearing, and honest (in reality you're chosen because you've read the email and decided to respond to it).

The woman supposedly is dying and there is money she wants to donate to charity, which has been left to her by her late husband and is in some bank somewhere. It was his last wish that this money go to charity and she wants to see that it's done, before she dies. All you have to do is contact her lawyer and work out the arrangements. You will get a percentage of the legacy for your help.

In reality there is no widow. There is no legacy. There is no lawyer. There will only be a series of requirements that you will have to pay for in order to clear the legacy, which of course will never come to you because it doesn't exist. People lose tens of thousands of dollars to this scam every day. Pass it up.

The money will be somehow encumbered and you'll be expected to pay for the "legal and bank fees" to free it up to be sent to you. And then will come money laundering concerns, tax difficulties, Customs and insurance problems and other emergencies, all of which will cost you thousands. The more you pay, the more the problems keep coming. I could find you countless scam reports on this situation. Here's one. Want more, just google "dying widow scam." Don't believe it.

Any time you get unsolicited contact from someone with whom you have never dealt before giving you news which is too good to be true, head for the hills. It will be a scam. Guaranteed

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989