Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

After receiving a flyer in the mail offering personal loans

Customer Question

After receiving a flyer in the mail offering personal loans I made a simple inquiry on line and within an hour received a telephone call from a 'Jacob Brown' . After discussion he told me I had been approved for a loan of £5000. He asked me to lodge the sum of £100 via pay point as an administration fee this I did but within an hour he rang me asking for a further £200. I was suspicious but he tried to assure me that this sum would be returned to me with the loan which, he said, would be in my account within an hour and a half. I told him he would have to wait for the money until 18 th July. He promised to call me on that date to make final arrangements. He didn't call me so I telephoned the number on the flyer only to discover that the said 'Jacob Brown' did not work for the company. I have spoken to police about this and they have recorded same. Can you advise me where I go from here?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a website or a snail mail address for the so-called lender you dealt with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The company I thought I was dealing with is Creation.Co.Uk. Their telephone number is *****(###) ###-#### ***** the calls I received came from(###) ###-####3481. Creation tell me that this number belongs to Skyquid. Evidently Skyquid hacked into my original email inquiry.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You can contact me via email at ***@******.*** or on mobile phone ***********
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to look into this information and to type you an answer.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, you fell for a loan scam. An up front fee for any reason at all is the #1 sign of a loan fraud. Any legitimate lender would take any transfer expenses from the money set aside to loan you and send you the rest free and clear. You were right to be suspicious of the request for a second payment, and there is no legitimate need for you to make a so-called refundable second deposit.

Unfortunately, too, scammers are not averse to "borrowing" the names of legitimate companies in order to further their fraud. That makes it very difficult to find out who is truly behind the scam. The contact information you have will not check out, as you have already learned, and your scammer could literally be anybody. Anywhere in the world.

I did find an anonymous complaint on the web about the 3481 number belonging to a scammer. (see link) I have also found other complaints here, which mentions fraudulent loan offers from Skyquid.

A reverse search for the phone number reveals it to be a landline in London, but it doesn't give me the phone carrier. Generally that means the phone is a VOIP rather than an actual landline and that the number was randomly selected by the program. The computer over which the calls are being made, however, could be anywhere in the world.

From what I have found, PayPoint doesn't offer much by way of consumer protection. Regardless, you should contact them, let them know that you found out that you sent off a payment to scammers and did not get the service you bargained for. Find out if you would be able to initiate a charge back.

If not, scammers are professional thieves and have mastered the art of disappearing in cyberspace. If you can find your scammer, you have real remedies. You can sue them for their fraud or seek to have them prosecuted. Finding, them, however, is a police matter.

If you have contacted your local police, you can also contact ActionFraud.police.uk. You can also report this to Trading Standards. Apart from that, and the possibility of involving a private investigator, there isn't much you'll be able to do to find these people.

One more important thing is that if you gave out sensitive personal details, bank account and credit card account information to qualify for this so-called loan, you are going to need to take all possible precautions against identity theft.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much. I'll take it from here.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

You're very welcome. Good luck!