29905560

Shipping company fraud

shipping company fraud
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Can you please ore details of the company and the sale, where it was done, etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Ben,
I am a qualified vintage scooter shop in sunny switzerland.Let me finish this message before any phone call. My previous one got erased during a crash.Thanks you,
Spike
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am attempting to buy a
fairly rare vintage Lambretta which was offered on a swiss small ads internet site.Price reflects both the scooter's condition and the fact that it's got Vietnamese registration. It can be a problem here.Price is about half of the current UK price for these models ie CHF 3'000.–Seller proposed to do the deal through an escrow shipping Co.Company exists:
TRUCKING LOGISTICS LIMITED (Registered No 08372798)
***** RINGMER, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX, BN8 5NX, UNITED KINGDOM
Phone Number: International +44 (0) (###) ###-####Fax Number: +44(###) ###-####
It seems a small operation, doesn't answer phone calls, warns about it, but does answer in a timely manner to emails.My tick is that, in my country, you'd need to be a notary or an attorney-at-law to hold funds in escrow.I am supposed to send funds through bank transfer to the supposedly legit Co bank account in the UK.The seller supposedly also exists:Name: Keny Damas
Address: 132-134 Great Ancoats Street
City: Manchester
State: Manchester
Country: UNITED KINGDOM
Zip Number: M4 6DEI am trying to to see if shipping is included in that price. I am liable in any case for Swiss Custom and excise, VAt etc.Just not feeling 100% SECURE as bank transfers can't be recalled. I have talked to my bank about it and they said they could TRY.Voilà,Thank you for your answer,
Spike

Thanks, ***** ***** get back to you later, probably not until quite late today once I have had the chance to consider this

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No worries

Many thanks for your patience. I must say that this all sounds like a scam. Whilst you may have been given the details of a shipping company, what usually happens in such scams is that the fraudsters select a small company name linked to logistics or shipping from the publically available list of companies and pretend to be affiliated with them to make it look more genuine. They could have a fake website linked to them or not even go that far and just say that they are working with them. It could be that they have even created this company themselves and given it a believable name – anyone can open a company without any checks so they could even be the ones behind this. The use of an ‘escrow’ account is also common in such situations – it makes it look more genuine and secure, when in fact this account belongs to the fraudsters and the money goes directly to them.

I have also checked 192.com which contains details of individuals on the electoral register and there is no person with the name of Keny Damas registered in Manchester. Obviously it could be that this person has not included themselves on the electoral register but at the same time it could simply mean that they do not really exist.

So based on everything that has happened, the inability to independently verify the genuinness of these people, the lack of formal registration details for the seller, the use of an alleged escrow account which you cannot verify as being independent and the attractive nature of the sale, the risks are too great to simply pay the money to what is effectively an unknown party. If this was me I would certainly not be proceeding, whether you do is entirely up to you.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'