29905560

I have recently purchased a used golf equipment through the

I have recently purchased a used golf equipment through the Craiglist platform.
I agreed on price and shipping with the seller and made a bank transfer for the agreed price.
The seller stopped communicating after the payment was made and the equipment has not been delivered after four weeks of payment. I have asked for a refund of the bank transfer through my bank but nothing has happened yet.
I signaled my suspicion of a fraud to the Craiglist platform and have noted that the ad has been withdrawn since then.
Since the amount is significant (£1180), what do you recommend me to do?
I live in Luxembourg.
Kind regards,
Yves Courtois
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago exactly did you make this purchase?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Payment was made on 19 August.
He agreed to provide me with shipping tracking number thereafter

Hi there. Thank you for your response; please leave it with me. I will be in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. The issue here is that you purchased the item from a personal seller and also paid by bank transfer. That gives you very little protection against fraud. A bank cannot recover the money you have sent via a bank transfer unless the recipient agrees to return it, or they are forced to do so by the authorities, such as the police. There are certain risks when you buy items on platforms such as Craigslist from strangers and are asked to pay by bank transfer or cash, before you have actually received the item – it is often abused by fraudsters, which it appears to be the case here.

The only way to try and take this further is through the police or in the UK this can be Action Fraud:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-a-fraud-including-online-crime

It does leave it entirely in their hands though so you are going to have to rely on them being able to resolve this for you, which in reality does not always happen. So just be ready for this – thousands and thousands of fraud victims never get their losses back and whilst unfortunate and of course unfair, be prepared for it. But of course report it and hope for the best.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, i had tried actionfraud before contacting you, but it appears they don't deal with cases where products are not delivered.
Is it worth lodging a complaint to the Police in the neighbourhood where the seller lives, if at all possible?
Would filing a complaint with Craigslist be of any use?
I am astonished to find how little protection consumers benefit when trading online.
Yves

The protection you get depends on the where you purchased from and how you paid. So that is why it is best to use recognised selling sites, or ebay and pay by Paypal where you get automatic protection for purchases. Places like Craigslist will offer very little protection if you were to pay in cash or bank transfer or wire transfers. You have nothing to lose by contacting both Craigslist and the police but do not expect miracles as in these circumstances it is usually rather rare to get a successful resolution.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your answers. I am just appalled by my own stupidity. The sense of being defrauded overweight the loss of money here. Will attempt a last ditch effort, without much expectations.
Will provide rating as requested.

Do not be too hard on yourself. I have dealt with numerous examples of fraud and some people have lost their life savings in various scams, we are talking sums exceeding $150,000 so in many respects it is better to be scammed for a lower sum and learn your lessons that way, even if the feeling is understandably bitter. Hopefully this will open your eyes to be careful in the way you do dealings online in the future an avoid a repeat of this

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'