29905560

I have paid a deposit on a glass balustrade system which is

I have paid a deposit on a glass balustrade system which is 8 weeks overdue and cannot get a response from the supplier now for 4 weeks.
How can I see if they are legitimate or not I cannot trace any online reports on them and before dealing with them investigated them as best as possible, they had a fixed address, landline and VAT registration, Lloyds bank account etc now I cannot get a response and any information?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please can you provide me with the business details and / or website address? Also, did you pay into a private or business bank account? Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
U.K. Glass Designs. The bank account was on the business invoice, I do not know if it was personal or business to be accurate. Www.ukglassdesigns.co.uk

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

No problem at all

Many thanks for your patience. It would appear that this company is still active and registered with Companies House under company number 09834260. They have a registered address as follows:

Ground Floor, 2 Woodberry Grove, London, N12 0DR

The company’s only director is a person named Saria Wright, who holds no other directorships in companies.

The website itself was created the day after the company was incorporated and checking the registered information about its owner I can see that the same person has registered it so they are linked. There is however a different contact address given which is:

121 Wellsway, Bristol, BS31 1JA

This would explain the Bristol number on the website.

At this stage you need to try and use both addresses to contact the company and make your intentions clear, namely that you are expecting either a product or a refund and that you reserve your right to take formal legal action to pursue them for a return of your money.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the formal steps you need to follow to progress this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. Before you consider starting legal action you may wish to consider sending a formal statutory demand. This is a legal request which asks the debtor to pay the outstanding debt within 21 days and failure to do so will allow you to bankrupt the debtor (if they are an individual ) or wind up the company (if they are a business). For the relevant forms to serve a statutory demand see here: https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/forms-to-issue-a-statutory-demand

4. If you wish to go down the legal route instead of a statutory demand, a claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.