Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I think I am being used by a scammer, claiming he is a SGM

Customer Question

I think I am being used by a scammer, claiming he is a SGM from the United States Army? How do I protect the innocent army man?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

The US military asks that you report these scams to IC3.gov. You have already done that. Apart from that, there is nothing saying that the photo belongs to a real soldier, only that he is not the person you've been communicating with.

It is easier to find out who a scammer isn't than who he is. However, one useful tool would be to run his photos through Google Search by Image, which is photo recognition software. If the photos have been used on the web before, you'll get to see where. Sometimes, you can get lucky and see the site from which the photo was stolen and get the name of the actual soldier.

Other times, you can just see the various scam reports and other names and profiles used by your military scammer. But if you post to those sites too and add your scam reports to the others, sometimes you will meet other people who have been swindled by the same scammer and exchange information about the scammer. That may help you to turn up the name of the actual person in the photos.

Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Zoey
thank you for the info, I will try the image search. I feel so bad for the soldier man, I dont even worry about the money that I have lost I the process. I just would like to make it known to this man that he is being set up by scammers innocently.Do you know if there is any direct communication with the US Army to maybe run it thru them?kind regards
Laureinne
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Hi Laureinne,

The army wants the FBI notified. The US Army has almost a million and a half men and women on active duty all over the world. So while you can certainly find a way to contact the military, they are not going to track down the subject of the photo. Hopefully, however, if you and the other victims of this scammer report the fraud, he'll eventually see it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ZoeyMakes perfectly sense. Thank you for your time, and assistance.
Have to give it upkind regards
Laureinne
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome!