Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal lawyer
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

To whom it will concern! On the 3/11/16 I was contacted by

Customer Question

To whom it will concern!
On the 3/11/16 I was contacted by e-mail: OFFICE OF THE NATIONEL SECURITY ADVICER
TO THE PRESIDENT FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
To inform me I will receive a payment of US$ 5.2million via diplomatic courier service.
I had to send them: Full Name, my Age, telephone No., my Sex, my Occupation, my
country, home Address, Marital Status and my ID passport or driving license. I did not
comply, but in my reply wanted to know what is the money for, why me, and what it
would cost me? Answer: Thanks for your response , this is to bring to you the notice that
there will be no delay in delivering your founds to your address in cash. I also was told
to keep every thing in secret. I still wanted to know why and have now received a very
threatening e-mail.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

This is a scam, which we have seen many times before. First of all, Nigeria has no jurisdiction over crimes that were not committed in Nigeria, just as your country has no jurisdiction over crimes committed outside of the UK. You cannot be charged in the UK for an offense that was not committed in the UK.

Legally, speaking, the email you received is pure nonsense. This is just a way to frighten you into wiring money to Africa to avoid an arrest that can't possibly happen and to tempt you to try to collect $2.5 million USD that doesn't really exist.

Secondly, diplomatic couriers are not mailmen. They cannot be hired to carry anything to a private citizen. They are attached to embassies and consulates and their job is to carry sensitive, classified political documents from one ambassador to another. You would never be able to receive a parcel by a diplomatic courier, and embassies and consulates have nothing to do with the payment of awards, contest winnings, or inheritances.

By responding to your letter, you have done two things. The first is to let the scammers know that your email address is an active one. They send letters like yours out by the thousands every day and they only know that someone read it if you respond.

The second is that you have guaranteed that now you will get more scam offers of all kind, because you took the bait and your email address will be on a list of active people.

In short, there is no real money, no matter what they tell you in their reply. It's for you, because you fell for their email. And what will it cost you? Every penny you are willing to wire them to try to get your nonexistent millions. And they will take your last dime if you let them.

Cease all contact with them. They are liars and thieves. They are just phishing for your personal identifying information so that they can commit identity theft and are looking to steal all your savings besides.

Any unsolicited message with news from a stranger that is much too good to be true is a scam. You would never get official government news of this sort from an email.

Report the fraud to actionfraud.police.uk and have nothing further to do with them.

If you have since given them your passport and driver's license and personal data, take every possible precaution against identity theft.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 29 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.