Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Hello, i am currently working in france and was recently stopped

Customer Question

Hello, i am currently working in france and was recently stopped by the police and breathalized. I failed and my license was seized by the police. They advised me that a judge would then decide what the penalty would be. I have not got a clue what happens from here as i dont know how they will contact me for a court date. I am in temporary accomodation and dont think they have that address as only my british address is on my license. Please can you advise

Thankyou in advance
Category: French Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Were you stopped by the French police?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972

It was the gendarmerie that stopped me and i believe j was 3 times the drinik driving limit. I have scoured the internet for info on this and believe it to be a very serious matter. I have read that i could face a jail term of up to 2 years with a fine up to 4500 euros. I am contracting in france and finish in august so unaure of what hapens now and what i should do from here?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
I'm in the UK I'm afraid but I have moved this to our European section for you.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
1) you cannot drive, absolutely. They will send court summons at the address you have given them, or at the address on the license.
2) If you did not give them at address at which you can be reach you may be judged in you absence.
3) Most likely the judge will order that your license be transformed into a French license then revoked. French administration will inform DVLA in the UK. Then, you may face the penalties you have listed above even if a jail sentence is unlikely unless you have committed previous offenses or hurt someone.