How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

HiMy daughter is 2 yrs old and has a french passport as

Customer Question


My daughter is 2 yrs old and has a french passport as her father is French. Now we are separated and i don't hold an EU passport. My husband does not want to have anything to do with us and does not have any contact with us and it is very distressful as my daughter is asking for her dad. I want to now if there is a chance of renewing her french passport without my husband consent, without him applying for it? And is there anyway we can get in touch with him for my daughter's sake?
Please advice?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Nicola


Thank you for getting back t me. Yea it's ok i can wait a little more. Hope to hear from you soon.


Thanking you in advance.

Mrs Nurkoo

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mrs Nurkoo,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
If your daughter has a French passport, she is a French national. It is not up to her dad to decide whether she can remain French or not. Nationality does not expire with a passport...
The nearest French Consulate General will give you the list of documents to provide to renew her passport when the time comes.
If you are married, you can sue your husband in France for abandon de famille, which is criminal offense. He cannot be forced to take care personally of your daughter but he will be forced to contribute at least financially. Likewise, if you are not married, you can obtain from a French judge that he pay maintenance for his daughter. I realize that emotionally this may not appease your daughter's wish to see her dad, but this is all you can do legally.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, you may compensate the Expert by rating their answer as satisfactory; however, if you still need help with your question, please feel free reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,