Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

HiMy daughter is 2 yrs old and has a french passport as

Customer Question

My daughter is 2 yrs old and has a french passport as her father is French. Now we are separated and i don't hold an EU passport. My husband does not want to have anything to do with us and does not have any contact with us and it is very distressful as my daughter is asking for her dad. I want to now if there is a chance of renewing her french passport without my husband consent, without him applying for it? And is there anyway we can get in touch with him for my daughter's sake?
Please advice?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Nicola

Thank you for getting back t me. Yea it's ok i can wait a little more. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanking you in advance.

Mrs Nurkoo

Hello Mrs Nurkoo,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
If your daughter has a French passport, she is a French national. It is not up to her dad to decide whether she can remain French or not. Nationality does not expire with a passport...
The nearest French Consulate General will give you the list of documents to provide to renew her passport when the time comes.
If you are married, you can sue your husband in France for abandon de famille, which is criminal offense. He cannot be forced to take care personally of your daughter but he will be forced to contribute at least financially. Likewise, if you are not married, you can obtain from a French judge that he pay maintenance for his daughter. I realize that emotionally this may not appease your daughter's wish to see her dad, but this is all you can do legally.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, you may compensate the Expert by rating their answer as satisfactory; however, if you still need help with your question, please feel free reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.