Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Good Morning,I was divorced under French law, my ex filed

Customer Question

Ineed a French Decree Absolute.

Good Morning, I was divorced under French law, my ex filed for the divorce whilst living in France. I was and am still living in the UK. How do I get a dercree absolute? I have many documents but not the above. Or, How do I register the divorce in the UK? I will marry again next year and need to obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry, so need some proof that I am legally divorced. Hope you can help.

Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Nicola,

I would have thought it would be quite easy to get an answer, my situation is very straight forward.

All I need is a decree absolute. Just need to know who to apply to and, if I need to use a French lawyer to do this.

Please keep searching.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
You cannot obtain a decree absolute as your divorce was handled under French law which does not operate on the same basis as English law at all. In your case, you need to obtain a certified copy of the French divorce ruling and have it officially translated into English. You can obtain a copy of the divorce ruling from the French lawyer who represented you during the French divorce proceedings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you tell me the correct document name in French?

I have some documents, maybe I already have it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I sent you a further request on 30th Oct.

I need to know the French name for the documents that I need to ask for.