Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I have a query about French Property Law. I am considering

Customer Question

I have a query about French Property Law. I am considering buying a property in the 3 valleys ski area in Savoie to use as a 2nd home. I am a UK citizen. Can you please tell me all relevant things i need to know such as stamp duty, any possible inheritance tax and/or other property taxes i will need to pay. Also are there any other regulations i should be aware of when purchasing this property? the property value will be about 200-250k euros.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
Stamp duties and related taxes will amount to about 7% of the purchasing price.
yearly you will have to pay taxe foncière and taxe d'habitation. Their rate varies widely from one town to the other and depend on many criteria and you can only obtain information on these taxes from the seller.
Inheritance will have to be paid on this property by your heirs. If you have children, each will have a 100 K€ allowance on his share then will pay tax on the remaining at progressive rates going from 20 to 45% based on the global value of your estate.