Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Someone has built a yacht using our design without paying us

Customer Question

Someone has built a yacht using our design without paying us royalties. They are in our view in breach of our copyright. The yacht is in France. I understand that copyright infringement is a criminal offence in France. Can I have the owner or boat arrested by the local police?

Category: French Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.

You need to make an official complaint to the authorities and constitute yourself as a civil party (to obtain compensation for the infringement).
They are not actually going to be arrested or in-pounded just because you claim that the design of their boat infringes your copyright. An investigation will be launched based on your claim and, it is more than likely that experts will be called in by all parties concerned, to assess whether the construction of that yacht indeed infringes your copyright as defined and protected under French law.
One would suggest you contact a French lawyer specializing in intellectual property law to assist you and represent you along these proceedings.