Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Hello I have moved permanently to France from mid July of this

Customer Question

Hello I have moved permanently to France from mid July of this year. All sources of income come from UK. I still have my UK home. When do I start to pay French tax, please? If I give a UK flat to my daughter ( UK resident ) would French taxation have an interest in this? Would there be a difference if I made the gift in 2013 rather than 2014? Thank you. Michael Rimoldi.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
This year, you will not need to pay French tax as you will have not been a resident of France for more than half the fiscal year. In 2014, you will become a tax resident of France (if you remain a resident of France for more than 180 days). To avoid unnecessary explanations with French tax authorities regarding the gift it would be best to do it while you are still a UK tax resident, in 2013.