Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Does a property within a tontine include the contents of said

Customer Question

Does a property within a tontine include the contents of said property if they were purchased by one tontine participant only?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am ok for a little while longer. Maybe if I give you a bit more background to this question it might help you in your search.

My brother bought a house and land in France with his former wife some years ago, and they set up a clause tontine. After their divorce my brother remarried but was unable to persuade his former wife to sell the property. He has now passed away so his share of the property passes to the former wife. This lady is laying claim to ALL the contents of the house and outbuildings, most of which belong to my brother and his current wife personally. She has been searching through my sister-in-law's and brother's personal possessions and has visited the house with a team of gendarmes to enforce this.

I would like to know if this lady has any right to those personal possessions, house contents and vehicles which were purchased after the divorce? I might add that she visited the house between the separation and divorce, and removed or damaged many of the contents. As they were not yet divorced at that time my brother was unable to bring a prosecution for theft or criminal damage.

I would be very grateful if you can provide me with some advice.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Nicola

I have unfortunately run out of time for this answer. Is it possible to cancel it please?

Caroline XXXXXXXXX