Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod,
73944119

We moved money from UK...

Customer Question

We moved money from UK to France to buy a house 13 years ago. If we sell that house are there any problems about bringing the proceeds back to England? We have done a lot of work on it so the sum coming back will be bigger than the original price.

Category: French Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

No, you should not have any problem bringing the proceeds of sale of the prioperty back to the UK. But you should be aware of UK taxes such as income tax if you keep the money in a savings account or inheritance tax.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for relieving my mind on that. Could you also tell me whether France has some equivalent of our capital gains tax which might apply to a foreign-owned property. We have made considerable capital improvements to the house the cost of which I can prove if necessary and French houses don't rise in value like English ones -but there will still have been a rise in capital value. Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

I am afraid you would need to seek advice locally in France as I can only comment on UK law.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could I actually complain about this. I am well up on English law. What I asked for was advice on FRENCH law. This means that your kind answers don't meet my enquiry at all. Not your fault. Obviously a fault in the programme just answer. Could you shift me to someone who can answer my questions. Thanks Gloria Moody

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

I have moved this to French Law for you and hopefully one of our Experts there will pick this up for you.

Please do not reply as it will send the question back to me and you may experience further delay.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid my blunt reply has to be "Can I have a refund?" I haven't learned anything I didn't know as regards XXXXX XXXXX in England and I am no further with finding out what snags I might meet in France.

So "Yes" close my question and give me my money back.

Thank you for your trouble. I am sorry it did not work out. Gloria Moody