Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

My partner who is estranged from her husband owns a property

Customer Question

My partner who is estranged from her husband owns a property in France.. She has not lived there for 6 years.. She has been told that the property has been seized due to her husband not paying tax.. The property has been up for sale for a couple of years. Her husband has terminal cancer and cannot deal with the property.. Is there anything that can be done to retrieve the situation?
Rory O'Connor
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nicola,
I'm happy to wait a couple of days for an answer.
Rory
Hello Rory,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rory
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nicola,
I'm still happy to wait a couple of days for an answer.
Rory
Hello Rory,

Thank you. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thank you,

regards

Rory

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
From what I gather your partner is not divorced. She is thus co-liable for all personal taxes owed by her husband. If the house has been seized by order of the Treasury, it will be auctioned off and it is too late to act. If this is not enough to cover the tax debt, the Treasury will probably try to seize other assets either from the husband, or from your partner. From what you write it is far too late to recover the situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good evening thank you for your reply. I separated from my husband 2007 the agreement at the time was to keep the house and he would pay the tax and a small loan of 10,000 euro loan from the bank, he has been very ill with cancer to trying to talk to him currently is very difficultt.

The property was put on the market 3 years ago and only recently the agent agent told me that they wrote to john on several occasions explaining to him that the tax people and the bank put a order on the house for outstanding debts he failed to inform me thus the house was then sold to the next door neighbour for a price to recover the debts !!!! My furniture and all my life was in the property the agent has told me the house was sold as seen with all the furniture, I feel like I have been robbed, I question the agent about my stuff she told me there was a break in and stuff was taken ! I have had a friend who lives around the corner who visited the property once a week and he stated that there was no break in - if I have lost the house and can't do anything about this I must be able to recover my belongings - maybe you could help ?

Nicci