Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

My partner was hit by a car in France. He was taken to hospital

My partner was hit by a car in France. He was taken to hospital and I had to stay with the police until paperwork was done. I was in shock and my partner was too. We did not get the drivers details but the police did. We are now trying to get hold of the drivers details for claim against her insurance - how can we get this report off the police and how long before the claim would be void. Accident happened on 11 Jan 2014 in Calais, he spent one week in French hospital, 2 weeks in uk hospital and is still unable to put weight on either leg due to broken pelvis both sides and operation to his tibia which now has metal plate and screws.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am happy to wait. We need to find out how we can claim off her insurance as it has cost us a fortune for hiring wheelchairs, not being able to work which has been since Jan 11th this year and still ongoing.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Continue please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like you to continue as we need help to sort this out. We stand to lose a lot of money in wages, wheelchairs etc
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
The driver must have compulsory liability insurance. You need obtain a copy of the police report. If the police refuses to answer your enquiries directly, you will need to instruct a French lawyer to handle the case for you. Since it seems no insurance claim has been made within 48 hours of the accident, you will have to initiate proceedings against the driver, and his insurer, and claim damages in the local Tribunal de Grande Instance. You will need to be assisted and represented by a lawyer.
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal