Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I have separated from my partner recently. We jointly own a

Customer Question

I have separated from my partner recently. We jointly own a property in France, another in the uk. Whilst I have no intention of asking her to sell UK property I would like to know if she can force me to sell french property. Thanks Simon
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could really do with an answer to this question, preferably before end of next week. The property was purchased about 7yrs ago obviously whilst we were still a couple (co-habitating) but we have now been separated for almost 2 yrs and have yet to discuss the division of assets (as I believe she wants the lot!) as I still harbour hope of reconcilliation (typical daft man!). The french house has just been put on the market but I do not want any potential sale to proceed. I guess this is when the bun fight starts! Can I legally say no to any sale ?

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  clairep80 replied 3 years ago.
Are you married to each other?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had put that info in my earlier text. No we are not married but were co-habitating for over 10 years. UK property she lives in (owned jointly) valued approx £600,000 and mortgage £300,000. French property valued approx euro160,000 and mortgage euro48,000. She also has another uk property that is rented out but is solely in her name. I hope this helps. Thanks

Expert:  clairep80 replied 3 years ago.
My apologies for overlooking that.
In that case this is a matter for French law as the Uk court has no Jurisdiction.
I shall transfer it to the correct section and opt out