Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Can the French authorities force me - a British citizen living

Can the French authorities force me - a British citizen living in the UK - to financially support a parent who is a French citizen who chose to live in France and is now in financial difficulty?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your message.

I may have caused some difficulty when I mentioned Scots law; I live in Edinburgh but it may be that Scots law is not a factor.

My mother has sought financial assistance from the French social services; they have sent me an intimidating looking set of forms and included various threats about incorrect completion of the forms or non compliance with French law.

As I am British, resident in the UK, I am unsure whether the French can have any power over me; my estranged mother is a French national and has lived in France since the late 1970s.

I hope these additional comments are helpful and I will answer any questions that may be required.

Roger Shilling

Hello Roger,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
Under French law you must financially support your parents (unless... see below). This means that all sums advanced by social services to your mother will either be taken from her estate (if any) of charged to her children - or any one of her children they know of who can then turn to his siblings, if any.
If they cannot recover the debt amicably, they will take the matter to French courts, obtain an order, then with the French court order, they will go through the EU debt collection system.
You can legally contest your obligation to care for your mother if her behavior towards you as a child or as a young adult has been less than correct... Let's say she left the family home while you were still a youngster and did not care properly for you, of if she abused you in any way,...
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal