Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Hello, My partner and I have a jointly owned house in France,

Customer Question

My partner and I have a jointly owned house in France, which is our only residence. We do not want to follow French property inheritance laws if avoidable.
Do you have information on setting up a trust with named people benefiting from the trust and can it apply to French property?
I would be grateful for some information on this and what would be involved.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, please continue with the search. The information will be vital to us.

Cecile Anderson.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but since this property in France is your main residence, you are deemed to be French tax residents and there is no way you can circumvent inheritance laws (these really apply only if you have children)£. Trusts were introduced in French civil law in 2007 under the name of "fiducie" but they cannot be used to circumvent either inheritance rules and French inheritance tax rules.
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

What about if the next house we buy includes named people as part owners? Is this very costly and worth doing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Thegonnec,

I did ask you another question related to the first one. As yet I have received no reply. I asked if in France it is possible to put a house into several people's names when purchasing. Could you enlighten me please?

Sincerely,

Cecile Anderson.