Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

This is on behalf of a friend..... His wife died over a year

Customer Question

This is on behalf of a friend..... His wife died over a year ago and he is still doing probate through a UK Solicitor where their Wills were kept. He knows he should have done it sooner but was unable to cope with it all. They lived and owned a house in joint names in France and he is still living in the house. He understands that he is only entitled to 1/4 share of the house if it is sold as there are 4 children 2 by his wife's previous marriage and 2 from their marriage. Can he stay in the house for the rest of his life or could the children make him sell it. He is really worried because if they make him sell it he could not possibly get anything with 25% of the value of the house.
Thank you for your help
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I will wait for an answer.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
If it was the matrimonial home (main residence) he can stay there until his death. If he opts for the 25%, he will own 62,5% of the house (his own half - since it was jointly owned- and 25% of his late wife's half). He can buy out his other co-owners, but only if they agree. If he wants to sell the house the others will owe him the price of his usufruct of their share of the selling price.
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I I rated you as Excellent. Thank you for your help.