Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I have a property in France with a mortgage from a French bank.

Customer Question

I have a property in France with a mortgage from a French bank. The bank is issuing proceedings to reposes the property in a French court. I am resident in Ireland. What are my options ?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I can wait a little longer.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can afford to wait a few more days.

Ciaran.

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
Is this done because you have missed on 3 mortgage repayments or more?
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I asked my question regarding French property 10 days ago and have yet to receive an answer. I have been charged €49 for this. Have you a relevant answer for me? If not please refund my money.

Ciaran.

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
Hello, if you have missed on more than 3 mortgage repayments you really have only one option open to you: offer the bank a full mortgage repayment + interest + penalties. For less than that, they will proceed with the repossession process and have the property auctioned off. If there is a shortfall between the price obtained at auction and your debt, the bank will issue proceedings against any other assets you may own in the EU.
The other option would be to renegotiate the initial loan, but it is usually far too late when repossession procedures have begun.