Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

My husbands previous marriage was to a French woman- they got

My husbands previous marriage was to a French woman- they got married in Morocco and he divorced her in Morocco. She is now divorcing him in France and he is getting demands to go to France. What is his legal situation?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - I'm ok to wait
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - thank you, ***** ***** the deposit

Best Wishes

Paris

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
Was the divorce in Morocco a proper divorce with representation of both parties or indeed a repudiation by the husband as prescribed under islamic law? If it was the latter, this type of divorce is not recognized in France, and divorce proceedings will have to take place in France if requested by this French lady.
If your husband does not appear in court or is not represented a judgment against him may be issued, which could threaten any assets he may have in France which might be awarded to his wife. If he has not got any assets in France, he may face legal troubles whenever traveling to the EU if the court awards prestation compensatoire (alimony) to his French ex-wife and he does comply with the court order.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi There

thank you for your reply, it was a proper divorce in Morocco in the courts, she did not appear there. He does not have any assets in France and was never a resident in France. He does not ever travel to France either. We can not get the summons as it appears in Morocco and he has to sign for it, they will not give it to his family and he does not live in Morocco anymore.

thanks for your advice

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
From what you say above, it would seem he risks little in these proceedings. Yet one would suggest he informs the other party of where he can be served the summons. So he can read what she asks. Then he can decide if it is worth appearing in court or being represented.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you so much for your reply, he also has no assets, nothing is in his name and he does not have a fixed income

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
Yet, if you are married to him without a pre-nuptial agreement separating assets, you would be liable to pay on matrimonial assets and income. This is why it may be of some interest to see what this ex-wife wants, and to fight it if need be.
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - we have a pre-nup, we will try and get the letter, to see what she wants. Are you able to represent him should he need it?