Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

Good Day, I am a South African passport holder working

Good Day,
I am a South African passport holder working on yachts. My boyfriend of a year also works on yachts but is based in France, he is a UK citizen. We want to enter into a civilised partnership. Will this allow me to reside in France with him? What visa or process do we need to go through? Can we sign the partnership in France or do we have to do it in the UK?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. I will wait for a answer
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will wait
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
While you are legally in France, you can enter into a PACS with your boyfriend only if he has an address in France. If his official address is in the UK, you will have to do this there.
Entering a civil union with your boyfriend will entitle you to residency in France (or any EU country) provided you boyfriend resides officially in this country.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you say Officially, do you mean have an address, must he own the property or can he just rent it? If we decide later on in our relationship to move to the UK, do I lose my residency if I get it in France?
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
By officially, I mean:
Own or rent his main residence in France, pay tax there, have utility bills. Once he moves to the UK, you will lose your right to reside in France.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, just another question.
If we sign the union in the UK what rights do I have then? Is there more flexibility in UK and the EU as he has access to both.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 2 years ago.
The UK is part of the Eu and subject to same rules. If sign in the UK, it will give you right to live with him in the UK, if he resides there. Or in any other EU country, if he resides there with you too.
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience: 11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal