Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I would like some advice on the law in France and my chances

Customer Question

Hi. I would like some advice on the law in France and my chances of not being allowed to stay in the country. I am staying with my girlfriend, who is French, and would, at some point, like to make it permanent as we are engaged and will get married later this year.
I was arrested under new French laws pertaining to illegal gathering for a protest. A group of 64 of us were denied permission to protest at a bullfight, 2 weeks ago, so we decided to go and make our voices heard anyway. When I arrived I saw a semicircle of police surrounding a group of people, a few of whom I recognised. As I approached I was stopped by a plain clothed man with a police armband. He asked me if I was pro or anti bullfighting, I said I was pro as I realised what was happening. He checked my ID then told me to get away from the area. I stayed and talked to a local woman, until he reappeared, grabbed me, and dragged me into the semi circle. After a few minutes the heavily armed and armoured police closed in on us, walked us away, took my passport and then took me in a police van to the police station. I was questioned and charged with illegally gathering to protest without permission. I was held in a cell for 12 hours until the bullfight was well and truly over.
We were advised that in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo incident, we were going to be made an example of so I am wondering if you can give me some information on what could possibly happen to me as I wait for the magistrates decision as to my punishment.
Just a few extra bits of information: I asked to have an advocate present when I was interviewed and was told in a very unpleasant way that I would have to stay in custody until the next day, or the day after if I wanted that. I was also interviewed without an interpreter, so my girlfriend (who was also present) translated for me. At some points I didn't even give an answer as she knew the details, which to me all seems a bit wrong.
Please can you give me some information on what could happen, and if there is anything that you think I should do in the meantime.
Regards, Matt.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola.

That is no problem, I will wait. Thanks for your efforts so far.

Regards,

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am really not happy with what has gone on with this site. I paid to have a question answered, it was not answered and I have not had my money returned. I have been unable to contact your service as the links have been unavailable. I also tried your weeks trial but was unable to cancel for the same reasons, as such more money was taken from my account. I was only able to close the account after the money was taken.

As you can imagine I am furious about what has transpired. I am now £68.15 out of pocket for receiving no advice, no service and no membership. I would like a full refund as soon as possible.

Matthew XXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I would like my money back for this question that was not answered £34.23 and for the membership that I was only able to cancel after the fee was taken from my account £33.92.