Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

HelloMy Partner and I purchased a house in Brittany, France

Customer Question

Hello My Partner and I purchased a house in Brittany, France about 4 years ago. The renovation was undertaken by an English builder who lived in Brittany. Progress has been very slow, mainly due to the builder having financial and personal problems. The project was due to be completed in October last year and so we sent various pieces of furniture over to France with the builder, as well as newly purchased and unused appliances for the kitchen, who was to store it until it could be installed into the house. The builder has not finished the project and has now changed trade. He had our possessions stored at a location in Brittany and we agreed that he would arrange access for us to retrieve it. However he has taken the property to another location in France- we do not know where (possibly Le Mans)- and is now not answering emails, calls or text messages. We have emails and recorded phone calls to support our position. We believe that he has sold his house in France and his base is now in Norfolk, UK at his parents' house. We need and want to retrieve our possessions and bring them back to the UK- they have a replacement value of about £20,000- and assume that a court order and bailiff is the route that we should take. However, we know that the builder will claim to have no assets and no property in UK, and so we potentially have little leverage. I plan to speak to court enforcement company tomorrow to get guidance, but any other suggestions for help would be appreciated. Michael XXXXXXXXXXX

Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nicola Thanks. That is disappointing. Let's not pursue it for now Kind regards ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Nicola
Please cancel the question. Thank you
I assume I won't be charged?
Michael