Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I was flashed by a static unmanned speed camera yesterday

Customer Question

Hi, I was flashed by a static unmanned speed camera yesterday whilst in France near Calais returning to England via Eurotunnel.
The vehicle I was driving was a UK registered, company owned vehicle.
The company that I work for (who own the vehicle) have a strict "zero tolerance" policy towards speeding offences.
I understand that speeding fines are difficult for French authorities to demand on UK registered vehicles but what's unclear is whether or not my employer will receive any notification at all about the issue from the French authorities. The fine isn't the issue here, it's the notification of an offence to my employer which is...
I believe the only way the French authorities could contact the UK registered owner with notification of a speeding offence and fine is to gain the relevant details from the DVLA. I'm uncertain whether the French Authorities bother trying to gain this information from the DVLA (directly or via a 3rd party).
Is this something you could provide any guidance on? I need to know whether to "brace myself" for my employer receiving notification of a speeding offence in France...
Category: French Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm new to this site. My question was over 24 hours ago and I paid for the highest urgency response. Could you provide any update yet please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm confused as to whether there is an issue with this site or if I am using it wrong? Is anybody receiving these messages/questions?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicola,I am indeed happy to wait for an answer.I am on leave from work until 7th Sept. Due to the nature of my question, I really need an answer before then as I will need to "confess" upon my return if they are likely to be notified...Do you think that is a likely timescale for a response?Best Regards,
Arran
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time but most questions are answered in a timely manner.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicola,Yes I would like you to continue to look for somebody to answer the question please.Best regards,Arran
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
All will depend on whether you were above 20 km per hour over the limit or not. Below, French authorities will not bother. Between 20 km/h and 40 km/h it will depend whether it was in an urban area or not. Above they will definitely contact DVLA Cardiff for identification of car owner and driver to issue criminal court proceedings (basically, if you stay in England, they cannot force you to come and appear in court but you'd better not plan on travelling to France/through France for the next 10 years if you don't...)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your response.I think I was most probably within 20kmph of the speed limit. Most likely around 145kmph.Are you certain that below 20kmph over the speed limit, the French authorities will not chase the offence up or try to contact the registered owner of the vehicle? Do you have any links to reference materialI was driving on the A16 will is a "toll autoroute" with a 130kmph speed limit. In the unlikely event that I did exceed 20kmph over this limit but certainly not more than 40kmph (150kmph to 170kmph), given that it's a high speed road in a none urban environment, does this also mean that the French authorities will not "chase up" the registered owner of the vehicle?Thanks again,
Arran
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
It is not certain. It is up to the judiciary police officer in charge of dealing with the offense at the Treatment center to decide whether to chase the offense of not. This will depend also on general instructions from the prosecutor's office. Normally all offenses are chased, even if, in reality, for drivers from some fewer and fewer countries in the EU, it is only on a name to shame basis, since the collection cost for fines would exceed the amounts recovered. Usually, they let go offenses by UK vehicles for fines not above 45 € (less than 20km/h overspeed outside urban area).The A16 has different limits: 110kmph, 130 mph, 90 kmph, depending on which trunk you were driving on and on temporary restrictions linked to road-works.Over 20 kmph overspeed, the likeliness that they do not at least try to chase up (sometimes it is quite tedious when cars are registered with leasing companies, and they give up... In that case only the leasing company may forward the information the lessor) is nil... Sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks again for your answer. It's helping me "build a picture" of where I am at.
I have read something about a European directive which the UK have not signed up to which means the DVLA would not share the information even if it is requested by other EU authorities. Is that correct?
Regards,
Arran