How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 89
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

GA-crb My mother who is 91 has been staying with my sister who lives

Customer Question

My mother who is 91 has been staying with my sister who lives in Brittany on and off since last July. She comes back to England every couple of months and until now had thought she could just come and go but have been told that the number of days she has been in France is over the allowed time without being registered as a resident.
Her only assets are her home in England and savings, plus her pensions.
Do we need to register her for residency?
Take out health insurance?
And, what happens if she were to die in France?
Any help you can give will be most useful.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: French Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, would prefer e mail not phone call.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello NicolaYes, please try to find someone who can help me please.Gerry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I cannot seem to get a password ***** be accepted when trying to open my account. Is there a reason for this?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I will ask Customer Support to get in touch regarding your account.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Christine-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
Thank you, ***** Support Team.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm not getting very far am I as I cannot find support on the page?!
My e mail address is***@******.*** when I enter this to sign into my account it will not accept my password ***** asks for a new e mail address. I do not have another e mail address. Is it possible to reset the password?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Could you please email Customer Support at the link provided?
Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link they sent brings me back here. Please tell me how to get to customer support.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please email your email address to:***@******.***
Thank you,
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
Your mother is a resident of France if she spends more than 181 days in France in any 365 day period. If she is an EU national she can obtain a residency card from France automatically by applying at the local préfecture. As for health insurance, she will obtain it through the NHS.She will also become a tax resident in France and have to file tax returns there.If she were to die in France as a French resident, French law would apply to her inheritance, unless she arranged in a will, handled through a notaire in France, or a solicitor in England, to have matters dealt under English law.

Related French Law Questions