Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

GA-crb My mother who is 91 has been staying with my sister who lives

Customer Question

My mother who is 91 has been staying with my sister who lives in Brittany on and off since last July. She comes back to England every couple of months and until now had thought she could just come and go but have been told that the number of days she has been in France is over the allowed time without being registered as a resident.
Her only assets are her home in England and savings, plus her pensions.
Do we need to register her for residency?
Take out health insurance?
And, what happens if she were to die in France?
Any help you can give will be most useful.
Category: French Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, would prefer e mail not phone call.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello NicolaYes, please try to find someone who can help me please.Gerry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I cannot seem to get a password ***** be accepted when trying to open my account. Is there a reason for this?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I will ask Customer Support to get in touch regarding your account.
Expert:  Christine-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/french-law/9l1nt-mother-91-staying-sister-lives.html
Thank you, ***** Support Team.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm not getting very far am I as I cannot find support on the page?!
My e mail address is***@******.*** when I enter this to sign into my account it will not accept my password ***** asks for a new e mail address. I do not have another e mail address. Is it possible to reset the password?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Could you please email Customer Support at the link provided?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link they sent brings me back here. Please tell me how to get to customer support.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please email your email address to:***@******.***
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
Your mother is a resident of France if she spends more than 181 days in France in any 365 day period. If she is an EU national she can obtain a residency card from France automatically by applying at the local préfecture. As for health insurance, she will obtain it through the NHS.She will also become a tax resident in France and have to file tax returns there.If she were to die in France as a French resident, French law would apply to her inheritance, unless she arranged in a will, handled through a notaire in France, or a solicitor in England, to have matters dealt under English law.