Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

My French mother-in-law informed my husband (her son) that

Customer Question

My French mother-in-law informed my husband (her son) that French law states the deceased person's estate must be divided equally between her children, if she is no longer married or widowed. Is it true?
Is it not possible by French law to specify in your will how you would like your estate divided?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am happy to wait for you to continue to find a response to my question.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 months ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 10 months ago.

What your mother-in law said is (almost) true. If she has 2 children at least 66,33% of her estate will be divided equally between her 2 children, by law. It's called part réservataire. If she has 3 children or more this part réservataire will amount to 75% of her estate. The remaining 33,66% or 25% of the estate can be willed to any person or organization she wants. If no will is written in the proper form though, the entire estate is to be divided equally among all children.