Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge
Experience:  11 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
46873171

I am a uk citizen but spend a lot of time in Nice, France. I

Customer Question

I am a uk citizen but spend a lot of time in Nice, France. I have been scammed out of 6000 euros by a husband and wife team with the husband purporting to be in love with me. I finally realised what the 2 of them were up to and asked for my money to be returned. I receive no response and now wish to report them. He is a Syrian national with a Finnish passport living and working in Nice
Category: French Law
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Typically, scammers use fake names and entirely fake contact information. Are these scammers people whom you have actually met, or were they just folks you were only in contact with by electronic means?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no they are real people; he was working as a waiter in a cafe I frequented and one night at the beginning of December 2015 we ended up together and from then until I confronted him at the end of July 2016 he scammed me for this money, some in cash and some by Western Union / MoneyGram transfers. It is an embarrassing story, but I now know from his former employers that he has done similar things before.
I have his full name, date of birth, address and passport number .
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If this is a real person and you have actual contact information for him, then you would have legal remedies that you should be able to exercise. I'm therefore going to opt out of this question and move it to our French Law category where a lawyer in France can give you an idea of your rights and how you can go forward with them.

It may take a while for a moderator to move this to the correct category, so please be patient.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help....
Alan
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I a okay to wait a while!
Thanks , Alan
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.

I've read the above conversation with Zoey-JD. If you have the name and contact of the person the only thing you need to do is file an official complaint with the police in Nice, or anywhere else in France. You can do it directly or by instructing a lawyer to do so on your behalf.

You will need:

• to show the proof that you paid the money to this person's account (cash payments will be difficult to document...)
  • to prove that you were either forced to make these payments or enticed to make them under a false pretense. It's sometimes difficult to prove materially... Unless you can prove they abused you by exploiting some vulnerability you suffer from (disability of some kind, old age, dementia)... It is not illegal to ask a friend to give one some money, even sums amounting up to 6000 €... Even if one is married. And love is not exactly defined by law...