Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

There are two records of my grandparents' marriage. The first

Customer Question

There are two records of my grandparents' marriage. The first in a church in 1897 and the second in a registry office in 199
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It might help if I tell you that I found out about the second marriage from my grandfather's army records. The first marriage was in a church in 1887 and the second in a register office in 1889.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** will be researching your question today.

What were your grandparents names?

Where did they marry?

Brendan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Henry Albert Gasser and Elizabeth nee Stanton.

First marriage, St Peter's church Winchester 1897.

Second marriage, Farnham Register Office, 1899

Hi there,

You are not imagining it, they did marry twice. I have checked the original index, it is not a transcription error. 1897 Elizabeth married as Lizzie, 1899 as Elizabeth. I cannot think of a reason why you would marry the same person twice. The original certificates may give a clue.

Both marriages were registered under civil registration.

Maybe the first marriage record was lost and turned up later !!!!

Brendan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the certificate for the first marriage.