HistoryGeek
HistoryGeek, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have a BA in History and a love of all things Genealogy.
69542077

My Grandfather, born 1878, was last mentioned as the father

Customer Question

My Grandfather, born 1878, was last mentioned as the father of my Mother in 1914 but vanished without trace. His last known location was from his Marriage to my Grandmother in 1907 - he was a Ship's Fireman (also recorded as a Marine Stoker). My Grandmother re-married in 1920 and her Marriage Cert says she was a widow. Does that mean she would have had to prove he was dead (or divorced?) - we have been unable to find a death certificate or any documentation for him. Coincidentally (or not?) his eldest daughter (born 1907 - just in wed-lock) also disappeared without trace after the 1911 census aged 3 when she was living with her mother - no mention of her father then.
***** *****ber
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hi Janet
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** will be researching your question today.
Please give me the names and dates and I will see what I can find.
Brendan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Grandfather: Charles ***** ***** b. 4th May 1878; Bapt. 26 May 1878 Stepney/Poplar - various Electoral Reg address*****Poplar (1898-1905); Married to Alice Maud Brown (Widow - nee Hawkins)17 Feb 1907. No further locational evidence after Marriage. First daughter Maud Alice b. 24 Sept 1907 - last known address with Mother only at*****Poplar according to the 1911 Census. No further evidence of Maud Alice.

GrandMother - Alice Maud b.5 Mar 1880 Limehouse E.London.Bapt. 4 Apr 1880. Appears in Census' for 1881,1891,1901. Married to Magnus Sinclair Brown in 1904 (died 1905). Married Charles ***** ***** 17 Feb 1907. Their only son was born in 1910 but died in 1911 before the census. Daughter Lilian Margaret was born 6 Apr 1913 (Died 20 Jul 2004) and the youngest daughter was born in Aug 1914.(Died 21 Jan 1942). Lilian Margaret (my Mother) shows on her Birth Cert that her father was a 'Ship's Fireman' although on another document he is called a 'Marine Stoker'.

Alice Maud is traceable right up to 18 July 1920 when she re-married to John William Cleland and from then till she died in Poplar in 1958.

Regards Janet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brendan,

What sort of timescale for your research/reply?

Janet