Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946
Type Your Question Here...

My wife has left the family home 3 times in 9 months, this

Customer Question

My wife has left the family home 3 times in 9 months, this time shes still away and wont come back what should I do?
Category: General
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Dear friend,

It seems as if your wife is suffering from a severe emotional disturbance, such as bipolar disorder, or she has found somebody else and is willing to throw away her past in order to be with this new person. That behaviour also could be caused by bipolar disorder or possibly other disorders that would cause her to act so recklessly.

If she does not respond to you or does not return, then you have no options to get her help or to resolve this.

I am certain that before you file for divorce, you want to do all that you can to save this relationship. You seem to be a loving and caring person, but if you are dealing with mental illness, this is often not enough.

Perhaps you can convince her to come back long enough to go into marriage and family therapy with you.

If she already has started and bonded with another person, then she may never return to your family.

You did not say whether or not you two had children together, but if she has also abandoned her children, the this is more of an aberration than just abandoning you.

It is more serious and indicative of a problem if she abandons children as well. If it just you, then this may be the way she terminates her relationship with you.

Try to get her into counseling if you can so that you can understand and deal with the issues that are making her do this.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMC