S. A. Abbott
S. A. Abbott, Licensed Business Owner/Operator
Experience:  Licensed Bus. Owner; published; prof. researcher over 35 yrs
1604863
Type Your Question Here...

If one is invited to luch when should one leave?Many of

Customer Question

If one is invited to luch when should one leave?

Many of my friends seem to think it is an invite to tea and supp er as well
Category: General
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  FitnessSpecialist replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX you for the excellent question.

Just so that I am clear, you mean when should you leave once lunch has been served and eaten and everyone is finished?

Expert:  S. A. Abbott replied 3 years ago.
-- Appropriate behavior as a guest is to stay through dessert and/or post dining drinks, be they coffee, tea, soft or hard drinks. Once a single service is completed, if not invited to stay on by being led to another room or area (ie: "shall we retire to the living room?") it is time to graciously take leave.

If you are hosting this luncheon, it is fully appropriate to stop serving after dessert and/or drinks are completed. You may have a friend who is also a guest prepared to announce their gratitude for your invitation and service and move to leave. At that same time you may thank the others for coming and move to show everyone to the door.

You are also within all paremeters of etiquette to arise once you feel it is time - and thank your guests for coming while helping them retrieve their belongings and showing them to the door.

If any guests seem to hesitate, the faux pas is theirs and you've learned a lesson about who to invite next time and who should perhaps not be invited. Remain gracious for any 'hangers on' and excuse yourself as having other obligations to attend to soon and offering an apology if it will placate the guest.

Proper guests must never overstay their visit or they shall not be asked to stay over again.