Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

My daughter has Down syndrome and to give her some independence

Customer Question

My daughter has Down syndrome and to give her some independence she has her own bank account and card with help and support and help from me.my bank has never advised me that I need to be a third party on her account.when trying to get some responsibility on a recent spend on iTunes when I was ill and had not checked her bank for a month my daughter had spent over £2000 within in around a month.i felt the bank should take some responsibility as well as myself.i recieved a phone call from rbs bank asking if donna is mentally capable to manage her own account and I said no because she has Down syndrome ie special needs but I am her mother carer and have power of attorney with the dss but was told I am guilty of fraud for going into her account which I have to to make sure she comes to no harm .she carries her own bank card but needs supervision when using this.the problem is the lady I spoke to on the phone has put a marker on her account and cannot access any of her money until I get a court protection order myself.the bank were well aware that donna has Down's syndrome and has had a bank account with the rbs since a child.this has devastated me and donna is really upset that she cannot get any money out for her daily living and for work.what can I do
Category: General