Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a Research Librarian.
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

Hello ,Was wondering what is the main purpose of Vultures and

Customer Question

Hello ,Was wondering what is the main purpose of Vultures and their roll in the wild. are they a good thing or are they just a pest.
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Vultures often get a bad rap since they are seen as a symbol of doom. They actually are natures way of cleaning the environment of dead and rotting animals. They assist in removing dead animals without spreading disease.

The world famous San Diego Zoo offers a very clear and consise report on these animals and the various species from around the world:

http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/vulture
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow , thanks for the great information .I was watching some old western movies and after some of the bad guys had been shot ,the good guys said leave them for the vultures and thats what got me curious about exactly what their habits were.

If the guy in the picture was killed or died in an area were Vultures lived ,.

1) would they feed on him.

2) How and were would they start.

3)How would they deal with the clothes .

4) How much of him would they be able to eat .

5) What would be left afterwards.

thanks I hove you don`t mind my asking for mor information .

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Very happy to offer additional answers that you may have on this subject.

From the site "allaboutbirds.com":

In cowboy movies the bad guy usually threatens to leave the hero in the desert for the buzzards, meaning the vultures. Although buzzard is a colloquial term for vulture in the U.S., the same word applies to several hawks in Europe. In fact, the Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus) of Europe is the same species as the Rough-legged Hawk of North America.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/turkey_vulture/lifehistory

From all of my research, it shows that vultures are interested in only animals that are dead or dying on the ground. In terms of humans, a study was done with its results below:

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/how-long-does-it-take-for-vultures-to-eat-a-human-body/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael, Thanks for the two links to information was very interesting . In the 2nd link they don`t say if the body used was clothed i can only assume that it was not ,

Gicen that the guy i am asking about we will take it that he has died of something , but is clothed as seen in picture , laying face up.

How would the vultures get at the flesh and bone under the T shirt and tight jeans .

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
My guess would be that they can tear into the clothing and get to the body in question. Would also believe that they would leave the clothing alone as this is something that they do not eat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once more thanks for the very useful information . if a vulture started to feed around about his stomach area then moved down, what area would it start to feed on next, and how will it get at it.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Nothing I have been able to locate in terms of what is eaten first. If a carcass has a thick hide they will wait for another animal to eat it first and then move in to pick at the remains. Vultures are able to strip a carcass in just a few hours.