Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018
Type Your Question Here...

My child attends primary school that uses older children to

Customer Question

My child attends primary school that uses older children to supervise younger children in classrooms during adverse weather conditions. There is no adult present in the class. Reference has been made to school with regard to bullying policy as school determines intimidation as bullying, as older children are intimidating and threatening younger children in their care. School advises that it will review the role of the children who supervise, they will continue the practice, but cannot promise that it will not happen again
I have a concern therefore that they breach their own policy, and are not acting in good faith in terms of duty of care to my child
Am advised that there is no statutory ratio of adult/child supervision, but this practice seems extreme
Category: General
Expert:  danj66 replied 3 years ago.

danj66 :

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your problem. My child is has just started primary school this year and I would hate to think that they were being supervised by older children without and adult present!? I can't see why this would be allowed. However, you'll be happy to know that there are a couple things you can do.

danj66 :

1). I know you said you've already spoken to the headmaster. However, before you can take it any further you have to make sure you have followed the schools complaints procedure, every school has one and they're not all the same. Ask the headteacher for a copy of it (they have to give you one) if you're unsure.

danj66 :

2) Once this has been done the next step would be the LEA but like you said you've already done that.

danj66 :

3) If its a state school: Then the next step is to complain directly to the Department for Education. Following this link to the complaint form. https://www.education.gov.uk/schools/leadership/schoolperformance/school-complaints-form . They usually get back to you within 24 hours.

danj66 :

You can also complain to them about free schools if there is a problem with the complaints procedure, which could be another option for you.

danj66 :

4) If it's a locally funded school then you will have to get in touch with Ofsted, which unfortunately can take 28 days, at which point they usually get back in touch to tell you if they're going to follow up on your complaint or not. If they are they'll tell you the process etc. The link for this form is https://www.ofsted.gov.uk/onlinecomplaints

danj66 :

Hopefully one of these methods will help you with your problem.

danj66 :

Interestingly all schools must have a behaviour policy in place (bullying policy). This must be given to any parents on request. If you can get hold of this policy and show that the school hasn't followed there own policy when complaining this should help your case.

danj66 :

Some forms of bullying can be reported straight to the police. This includes repeated harassment and intimidation, a slightly extreme option but it would definitely make them take notice.

danj66 :

Once again the school will have its own definition of bullying. If what has happened goes against their definition of bullying then they have to discipline the bullies in some form or another.

danj66 :

As for the statutory ratio of adult/child supervision. I it s 30 per teacher for 5-7 yo and for 7-10 its more. However, this doesn't mean there has to be a teacher there at all times.

danj66 :

Hope all this has helped and good luck

JACUSTOMER-soiz2q0c- :

This was a very poor response. It does nothing for me. I have had an alternate response that was worthwhile, you should refer to that to see what good looks like

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as previously stated, this was a poor response. I intend to visit in person a solicitor, feel that would be a better way forward. please stop any activity on my behalf

I am sorry we were unable to assist you. As requested I will close your question.