Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

Hello Anna Hope you are well ,Was wondering if you would like

Customer Question

Hello Anna Hope you are well ,Was wondering if you would like to answer some questions on a new version of the Mysterious Island.
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ewan,

Yes, please post your questions. I'll be able to work on them over the next several hours.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello thanks for replying ,Was watching the 2005 version of the film and wonderd if this guy was in a newer version and had got seperated from his friends , he is walking along as seen in pic with socks and boots on, Ahuge salamada type lizard appears , He tries to run but it darts it`s tongue out with the sticky end and grabs him pulling him back to. it

What will happen to him like in film.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Well, this is another very interesting one. In order to make it even more exciting, we'll go with a salamander. Salamanders may look like lizards, but they're actually amphibians, more closely related to toads and frogs. There are species that begin as larval forms in water, and then move onto land. We'll use one of those as a base. The Chinese giant salamander can reach can reach a size of nearly 2 meters, so we won't have to exaggerate too much. Salamanders are carnivores and will eat anything they can catch and get into their mouths. We'll work what I know about salamanders into your story line. but first, on a smaller scale, you can watch a little tiger salamander consume a worm here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu31RbdXUyw

The young man is trudging along a damp, muddy area of the island. A huge salamander catches his scent and then sees him. The guy walks on, unaware he is being watched. The salamander creeps closer. When the animal reaches striking distance, it silently darts out its huge tongue and grabs the guy by the legs. The tongue is very sticky and the young man fights desperately, but cannot get away. The salamander's tongue forms a groove in the center, which causes the guy to be trapped in the middle with stcky tongue on either side of him. The salamander brings its tongue partially into the mouth. As it does so, its movable teeth fold back in the direction of its stomach, enabling it to pull more of the guy in. Throughout this, the young man remains alive. The salamander repeatedly puts it tongue out and pulls it back in, dragging more of the guy's body in each time.Though the salmander has teeth, they are used only to hold onto the prey, not to chew. The prey is gradually guided into the esophagus. As each part of the guy's body is swallowed, it is crushed somewhat by the peristalitic action of the esophagus. The salmander may ahve some trouble swallowing the boots and jeans, but has no way to remove them, so it just keeps gradually working at it. The young man will remain helplessly in terror until he goes into shock and loses consciousness.That will happen as vital organs are crushed - by the time the lower half of his body is down the salamander. The huge animal will continue swallowing him until the entire body is in its stomach.

Salamanders have an efficient digestive system, and so, this meal will be digested in just a few hours. The jeans and boots will be partially destroyed by strong digestive systems, but they are indigestible, so will be found in the animals droppings. Since this is an imaginary salamander we'll say it can digest bones in a few hours, too. Salamanders eat 4-5 times per day, so this monster will be out hunting for another meal in a few hours.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wow fantastic answer . So the guy will still be alive while it is eating him.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Yes, at least for about the first half of the time the salamander takes to consume him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Blimey poor guy, So he would probably still be alive as it swallowed down the area in the small tight denim shorts ,feeling its mouth work on his denim clad but and groin . given that he looks as if he has under wear on under the shorts ,how will the salamander`s digestive juices get at whats inside the front and other parts of the shorts .Hard to tell from the image but he does look as if he is well endowed in the shorts ,how long might it take the salamander to digest it , if any one stumble on the salamanders poo ,what all will they find in it upon examitation.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

1) So he would probably still be alive as it swallowed down the area in the small tight denim shorts ,feeling its mouth work on his denim clad but and groin?

Yes.

2) How will the salamander`s digestive juices get at whats inside the front and other parts of the short?

The clothing itself will not be digested, but the stomach acids will soak through the clothing and digest what's under the clothes.

3) how long might it take the salamander to digest it

Since that's on the exterior part of the body, and the entire process only takes a few hours, it's likely those parts will be digested within an hour of being swallowed.

4) if any one stumble on the salamanders poo ,what all will they find in it upon examitation.

They'd find faded and damaged jeans and underwear, boots with mushy leather, and that's about it. Everything else would just be salamander droppings.

Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your time in giving me a totally awesome answer.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!