Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

How to save 50 Ash trees after horses stripped the bark right

How to save 50 Ash trees after horses stripped the bark right around base.
Category: General
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with many years of experience growing trees. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

If the horses girdled the trees (gnawed off the bark all the way around), I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but nothing will grow above that point. Without the bark there, the tree cannot transport water and nutrients upward, and areas above the girdled area will die. Sometimes a tree damaged in this way will put out new leaves in the spring, but then will die. If the bark is not gone all the way around the trunk, the tree may be able to seal off the damage and recover. There is no treatment to use that w ill help this process. Research has shown that damaged trees heal better on their own than they do when treated with pruning sealants, etc.

If the trees are completely girdled, they do probably still have strong root systems. You can cut off the trees at the base and wait for new shoots to come up from the ground. When they do, choose the best sprout and remove the others. Train that sprout as you would a young sapling. Shoots that come up from established roots often grow very quickly, and you'll have new young trees faster than you would if you actually bought and planted saplings.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well for you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.