Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a Research Librarian.
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

Hi. Can I take Crocus bulbs on a flight from Gatwick to Du

Hi. Can I take Crocus bulbs on a flight from Gatwick to Dublin...?
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Customs restrictions list bulbs that are not able to be imported but with proper license can.

From the www.citizensinformation.ie:

Prohibited or restricted goods
Certain goods cannot be imported to Ireland or can only be imported under licence.

The main items that cannot be imported or must be imported under licence are:

Plants or bulbs

I would suggest contacting the airline you are traveling with to see what additional restrictions they have and how to possibly travel with the bulbs you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not really importing, I just want to take a few over in my hand luggage to plant on my Mum's grave (I want to take the same bulbs that im planting in my garden here, rather than buying bulbs when I arrive in Dublin). Does it still apply...?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Very nice that you want to bring those bulbs along to remember your mother. Bringing in any plants or bulbs from my research can be taken away as rules on dangerous or potential issues can be thought of by bringing plant items of any sort.

My suggestion would be before you travel is to contact the airline you are traveling with and ask if the bulbs would be allowed onboard. I would not though be surprised if they say it is fine and then ask you to discard them when at the airport as rules for airlines change almost weekly.