Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

After 30 years my tortoise has suddenly started butting me

After 30 years my tortoise has suddenly started butting me and anything else new that is placed in the garden. Is he all right and is there anything I can do to make him less aggressive and less likely to but
Category: General
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

I would like to assist you.

What type of tortoise do you have?

Is it a male?

Is it housed outside?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

You have not responed to my information request, but I did want to let you know my suspicions for the new behavior. This is tortoise mating season. If your tortoise is a male, this is mating behavior you are seeing. The butting, clawing and trying to get to you. The fact he is in the garden has stimulated the breeding behavior and this may last for a month or two before he settles down. Normally with small Reptiles we offer a stuffed animal, but with a larger tortoise, we just have to stay out of their way. Cooling him down and shortening the light cycle may help settling him down. I hopes this explains the strange behavior. Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.