Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

My snake had a really bad shed. I noticed the underside of

My snake had a really bad shed. I noticed the underside of him was pink/red and scales coming off. This was not apparent the previous day. I took him to my reptile shop who said it was a burn. He is on a mat with a stat. I have been treating with tamodine baths and tea tree and aloe Vera cream. It is now a shade of green with no puss or exudate. The area seems to have no scales. I'm not sure if the green us because of the tamodine. There is no strong smell.
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with Special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Please stop the Tea Tree Oil as it is toxic to Pets. The aloe is not the best either. I would speak to the Vet about Silvadene Ointment. It is a Specific Burn ointment and will work well on the area. I am concerned about this being a Themal burn since those go deeper than the outer layer of scales and skin. I would continue cleaning with the Tamodine which is made to treat burns, but you need the Silvadene Cream which is very specific for this type of burn and safe to use on the snake. It is a prescription medication and will help heal the area. The Tamodine, can turne the slin a bit orange, but the green may be coming from the combination you have been using of the tea tree oil and aloe. This is some information on Silvadene Ointment: http://www.anapsid.org/burns.html

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Joan