Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

First I should tell you that water quality is good. Second

First I should tell you that water quality is good. Second that I was given three kio fish from a friend who sed he could not afford to look after his pond anymore. I took his fish all was well. For the first 2 weeks, the new fish did not eat, then they started to eat, but not as eagerly as my koi. Some time went by, about 2/3 months and one of the fish died. Everyone sed that the fish was old. Now I have a second koi that is being lethargic . It will not eat, will not swim with the other fish, will not eat. Sometimes it will swim close to the surface, most of the time it will lay motionless on the bottom of the pond. About 4 weeks ago, I treated my pond for lusters and flukes. I'm worried that it may be a gill problem. Think this fish will die soon. All of my own fish are lively and eating Weil.Gave the fish antibiotic jab today, also noted that the anus is inflamed and swollen. Please help me.
Category: General
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

Koi live for decades - often 40 to 50 years, so it's unlikely the fish that died was old.There is something very seriously wrong with these fish, and you have treated for the most common problems. The fish have not responded and I'm concerned that we may be dealing with one of the viral diseases that have become increasingly common in koi. There is no treatment. The longer you leave these fish in with yours, the more likely other fish are to develop a problem. I recommend removing the sick koi and the other one that wasn't yours, as well. Isolate them in a hospital tank. A large tote, such as those made by RubberMaid will work well. Use water from the pond and set up a filter or pump with an airstone.I would also add one gram of aquarium salt per liter of water. Don't use table salt - it sometimes has toxic additives.Have your friend continue the jabs.

If you're going to get results, you should see improvement in 4 - 5 days. If you don't, it may be best to euthanize the sick fish. If you need information on how to do that humanely, let me know and I'll provide it.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope you will have a good outcome.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Last Saturday the sick fish was given antibiotic jab, it will have another one this Saturday.i have now got the address of the man who took several of my friends fish.Just to enquire if those fish are still well.If any of those fish have problems, then I will ask about putting them to sleep. I will let you know what happens. Bob.
I am very happy for your help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello Anna, today we removed the sick fish out of the hospital vat,it was not in a good way. After careful inspection of the fish it was decided to put the fish to sleep.we used an anesthetic to allow the fish to pass away gently. The gilles were a brown colour with white strands attached to them. Also his annas was still swollen and inflamed. I think we done the right thing for the sake of the fish. I have given all my own fish a good salt dip, also added a salt treatment to the pond. Thanks for you're expert help and advice

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

I was hoping for a better outcome, but don't think this fish was going to get well no matter what was done. You made the best decison to humanely end his suffering. You did the best you could.