Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

Hi keep finding fish dead in pond. Young kol carp. Grey

Hi keep finding fish dead in pond. Young kol carp. Grey slime around gills. Help
Category: General
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with many years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Have you tested the water? If yes, what numbers in parts per million (ppm) did you get for ammonia and nitrites?

What is the water temeprature?

Have you noticed the fish gasping at the surface or rubbing on objects in the pond?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi have tested and all is correct. The fish were swimming on top of pond gasping so suspect lack of oxygen in water.could this be the problem?

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. There was some bug in the system here, and I was just now notified of your response. So, I find myself apologizing for a delay once more.

Lack of oxygen could be the problem, but it may not be a lack of oxygen in the water, but rather an inability of the fish to utilize oxygen. Conditions that affect the gills may be responsible. Possibilities include a gill parasite or an infection, or both. Gill flukes commonly cause this problem. The flukes are microscopic, so you can't see them, but they can cause the gray oozing you see and the gasping at the surface. Often, when gill flukes are present, a bacterial infection is also involved. The recommendation is to first treat with an antiparasitic. I like Praziquantel, which should be available in any pet shop that sells fish supplies.Treat once according to the directions, then follow up with a second treatment 4 days later. After the second treatment, do a 50% water change, then treat with an antibacterial. A combination of Melafix and Pimafix (also available in pet shops) is good. Just follow the instructions on the containers for all the medications.

If you're able to provide more aeration with an additional pump, that would also be a good idea.

Unfortunately, your koi are very ill, and it may be too late to save many of them. But it can't hurt to try, and by treating, you'll also catch anything in the still healthy fish while it's in the early stages. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope treatment will be successful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.