Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

can a goldfish recover from heron beak injuries! It has been

can a goldfish recover from heron beak injuries! It has been a week but he is still floating on his side and lying near the pond's bottom, he doesn't seem to be feeding, his 2 companions were taken, is it cruel to try and save him?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with many years of experience keeping fish. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. Whether you can save the fish depends on the exact nature of his injuries. Puncture wounds are very prone to infection and often do not heal well. If you want to try, you'll need to take the fish out fo the pond and put him in a quarantine tank. Fill it with water from t he pond, and provide some aeration. You can try a product called Melafix, which should be available in pet shops. It has been tested by a leading fish vet (independent of the manufacturer), and found to help wounds heal. It does also claim to be anti-bacterial, but that claim was unsubstantiated.

If the fish won't eat, chances of recovery are very slim. I'm sorry to give you bad news, but I believe you deserve honesty. Humanely ending the fish's suffering may be the best choice.If you decide to go ahead with euthanization, you’ll need some clove oil (eugenol) and some vodka. Clove oil is sold in pharmacies a s a toothache remedy. First take some water out of the tank. Measure it and keep track of how much it is. Put the water in a container just big enough for the fish, and then put in the fish. Next take a small jar or bottle and fill it with water from the tank. Add a few drops of clove oil, and shake well. The clove oil will emulsify in the water, which should then turn white.

Pour some of the clove oil/water mixture into the container the fish is in. After about 10 minutes, the fish should be asleep on the bottom. If it isn’t, add more of the clove oil/water. When the fish is asleep, add 25% vodka to the container. That means if you used one litre of water to begin with, you’ll add 1/4 litre of vodka. Wait about 20 minutes. Check the fish to see if it is still breathing through its gills. If the gills don’t move for one minute, the fish has died.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!