Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Masters Level Educator,Tutor 35+ yrs.; Author, Senior Internet Researcher, Trivia Master
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

'for Cher Only' Hello Cher Hope you are keeping well ,was wondering

Customer Question

`for Cher Only` Hello Cher Hope you are keeping well ,was wondering if you would be interested in doing a scene/story involving a komodo dragon, Let me know if you are interested.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan.

I am keeping well, thanks for asking, and I hope you are well, too!

Yes, I would be interested in helping you; please send details. Thanks!

I wanted to let you know that I will be on my way out, in a short while, so I won't be able to start working on this until later tonight. I know it's late for you, now, so I will post back later and you can most likely read it tomorrow. Is that alright?

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Cher thanks for responding , Reply when you have time.

My scene would be like this , a family is sailing around the island of komodo . One of the youngr kids falls over board and the older brother dives into save him, He manages to get him back on board , but a freak wave washes him away from the boat .the family try desperatly to get to him but they fail and he drowns . his body washed up on a remote beach on the island of Komodo . A huge hungry male Komodo dragon is searching the beach when it come on the find , see pics, how will it deal with what it finds on the beach . many thanks .

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome, Ewan!

I will consider the situation and post back my thoughts later, when I return. Your patience is appreciated! : )

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thats fine , sorry for so many picture appearing ,was only ment to be 3 but computer went a bit wonky.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
No problem, Ewan. I received the 3 images you meant to send. : )
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan and thanks so much for your patience.

When the Komodo dragon smells the dead body (they can smell dead or dying prey from up to 9.5 km. away), he will approach and first start tearing large chunks of flesh from the throat and underbelly and swallowing them whole, while holding the guy's body down with his forelegs. The Komodo dragon can eat 80% of it's own body weight in one feeding, so he will continue to feed on the guy until practically nothing is left. Since he swallows the chunks of flesh whole, the digestion process takes a while. Reptiles can digest best when warm, so after feeding, he will go to a sunny place to help ease digestion, most likely falling asleep. He will not need to feed again for a while.

I hope this helped.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Cher , many thanks for the great reply.

1 how much of the young mans body will it eat ?

2 would the large komodo dragon be able to swallow whole the area in the tight swim trunks + the tight trunks?

3 How long would digestion take in good conditions?

4 what if anything would be lefy on the beach ?

5 Would it be able to digest the tight swim trunks and what was inside ?

6 How would it get rid of any undigestable items and would it be recognisable ,if someone looking for the guy came across it ?

Many thanks once again for the great info.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan and you're most welcome!

Please allow me some time to respond to your additional questions.

Thanks!
Cher : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sure ,look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.

Hi again, Ewan.

It will eat almost all the flesh of the young man's body.

Yes, the dragon would be able to swallow whole, the area in the tight swim trunks, in addition to the trunks. It can open its mouth really wide, due to its loosely articulated jaws, flexible skulls, and expandable stomachs, which allow them to swallow smaller prey whole (like goats).

Due to it's slow metabolism, it could take up to a month for full digestion.

The skull and perhaps a few bones would be left on the beach.

It would be able to digest what was in the tight swim trunks, but the trunks themselves would be ejected along with teeth, hair and anything else undigestible, when the Komodo dragon regurgitates something called the 'gastric pellet', which is covered in foul-smelling mucus. After regurgitating the gastric pellet, it rubs its face in the dirt or on bushes to get rid of the mucus, because it can't stand the smell, either.

Same as answer to #5 and no, the undigestible items would most likely not be recognizable if someone looking for the guy came across it.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Teacher
Experience: Masters Level Educator,Tutor 35+ yrs.; Author, Senior Internet Researcher, Trivia Master