Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

One of my large Silver Grey Dorking hens has crop impaction.

One of my large Silver Grey Dorking hens has crop impaction. Is there anything can do to remedy this or will it require surgery? Iin the latter case can you recommend a poultry-friendly vet in my area which is Derbyshire
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with many years of experience keeping poultry.. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

When the crop becomes full and impacted and it isn't quickly remedied, fungus grows in it, causing sour crop. If not treated, it is often fatal. The best option is to see a vet for some Nystatin or another effective medication. There are supportive treatments you can do at home, but on their own, they're not likely to result in a cure. You can massage the crop a time or two per day. Hold the hen with her head down so she doesn't aspirate the liquid. Sometimes it helps to withhold all food for 24 hours, but provide plenty of water. Some chicken keepers report that feeding yogurt helps. Others like to put apple cider vinegar in the water. I don't have a lot of faith in these methods, and prefer to see a vet right away.

I cannot give you a personal recommendation for an avian vet in your area because I live in the States, but here is one recommended by some bird owners:

Ambivet Veterinary Group
The Veterinary Clinic
*****br/> Heanor
Derbyshire
DE75 7ED
Tel: 01773 717780

This one also states that they treat birds:

Scarsdale Veterinary Group, 45-47 Kedleston Road, Derby, DE22 1FN Tel. (01332) 345191
Heather B. Kendall BSc BVSc GPCert(ExAP) MRCVS, Unit 2 (inside Just for Pets), Salt Walk, Burton upon Trent, DE14 1AA Tel. (01283) 510363

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your hen will reach a full recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice. Have tried to massage the birds as described in order to provide relief but think will need to see a vet. many thanks. David