Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Masters Level Educator,Tutor 35+ yrs.; Author, Senior Internet Researcher, Trivia Master
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

'' cher was wondering if you would be interested

Customer Question

`for Cher Only` Hello cher was wondering if you would be interested in a scen/story about Manateas. If you are let me know and i will send you more details . many thanks in advance.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ewan, and thanks for requesting me, once again!

I hope all has been well with you!

Yes, please send details.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Cher .thanks for responding, I am doing fine thanks. Hope you are ok.

The guy in the picture wishes to go snorkelling with manatees while he is on Holiday in Florida.

He has found a very secluded spot were manatees are and changes down into what you see in the picture. He then slips into the water and swims around until he finds a group of Manatees, he just floats and watches them not wishing to disturb them.

One of the manatees drifts over to him and start to explore him looking for food. How will it do this? Many thanks for your help.((hes the guy in the york water polo trunks))

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan and thanks for your additional information.

I'm glad everything is fine with you!

I will need some time to work on this and will post back when completed.

Your patience is greatly appreciated, as always! : )

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Cher .

Please take what time you need .Many thanks.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Ewan! : )
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan and thanks for your patience!

Florida manatees are primarily herbivores; they feed on over 60 species of plants, such as: turtle grass, manatee grass, shoal grass, mangrove leaves, various algae, water hyacinth, acorns, and hydrilla. If this manatee were looking for food, it would not be interested in the guy, as it does not eat meat and certainly doesn't attack humans for food. It might start nosing around the guy to see if he has any plant stuff on him or perhaps stuck in his York water polo trunks. It would nose, gently, outside and inside the trunks, but finding nothing of interest, would then, swim away.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Cher.

Thanks for the information on the manatee. Yes they are pretty docile creatures and don`t eat meat at all. And are pretty calm and friendly creatures and curious too. Given that they might have been hand fed by humans; this might be why the Manatee approaches the guy.

1) Would the manatee sniff all of the guy’s body that’s in the water?

2) Might it try and nuzzle his hair?

3) Can they use their front flippers like hands?

4) I saw a video were a manatee started to nuzzle and take a divers fingers into its mouth, would this hurt?

Many thanks for your great help.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan and you're most welcome!

Yes, manatees are gentle creatures and are sometimes fed by humans, so they wouldn't be frightened, in most cases.

Yes, the manatee might sniff all of the guy's body, when he's in the water.

2) Might it try and nuzzle his hair?

I don't think it would try to nuzzle his hair.

No, they can't use their front flippers like hands, but they only use them to propel themselves along, in the water.

While manatees do have teeth, the molars in the back are mainly used for chewing tough plant material (and included sand) they eat, and they regrow when worn down, replaced with sharper ones; however, the teeth in the front of the manatees' mouth are not as sharp and unless it was chewing food, it would not hurt the diver's fingers if they were taken into the manatee's mouth.

-----------------------------------------

I hope this answered all your questions. : )

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Cher.

Thanks for the great answers.

1) In your information you said the manatee noses at the guy’s tight York water polo trunks. Would it be able to take the entire front of them into its mouth?

2) I also read that they have prehensile lips, would it use them to try and pull the budge into eh tight trunks into its mouth?

3) Wools it is possible for the Manatee to pull/tear the guys trunks off?

4) If it did tear/pull the guy’s trunks off, would it swim off with them in its mouth?

5) Would it then try and eat the trunks, given it`s used to the tough fibres of plant material.

Once more thanks for your fabulous help.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ewan and you're most welcome!

It most likely would not be possible, considering the small area and the largeness of the manatee's mouth.

Because of the manatee's prehensile lips, it could try to pull the bulge in the tight trunks into its mouth. The manatee uses it's extraordinary prehensile lips almost like hands, to manipulate and gather/get food into it's mouth.

With those prehensile lips, yes, it would be possible to pull the guy's trunks off.

If it thought they might be food, it would swim off with them in its mouth.

It would soon realize that the trunks were not food material and do not resemble its usual plants and would then drop them and not attempt to eat them.

-----------------------------

Warmest regards,
Cher