Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

Please can you help me.3 of my tortoises have come out of

Please can you help me.
3 of my tortoises have come out of hibernation Saturday 14th March.
This is the first time I have ever hibernated them normally I keep them in vivariums but
my vet suggested that I should let them hibernate as in October he weighed them all and said that they would be quite able to hibernate and that would be good for them.
I give them warm baths 2 to 3 times a day and I have noticed that in all cases they do drink. They are all spur thighed, My only male has passed urine and white matter. one of the females of approx 10 year old has passed poo but no urine, Torty my oldest of approx 70 years nothing at all. In all cases there's plenty of go in them and their eyes are lovely and bright, mouths healthy looking. I cannot get them to eat what can I do to encourage them to eat someone did suggest tube feeding but as this is something I've never done I wouldn't know where to start and what would I tube them with? How I wish I'd never gone down the hibernating route. As I live in rural Wales the vet I use for my other animals hasn't got a clue where tortoises are concerned.
Thanks in anticipation
Oenwen
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years woth special ineterst in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.
Can you tell me about the set up for housing?
Do you have a Tortoise table or tank?
Substrate?
Supplements?
Passing stool?
Diet normally Fed?
UVB OR MVB, if UVB linear tube or coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?
Basking bulb?
Temps in enclosure?
Joan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

2 4ft vivariums.

On newspaper and tortoise substrate

1 of the tortoises has passed urine and white matter no stools.

The other 2 tortoises 1 nothing at all the other passed stools but no urine.

2 of them are drinking well and also starting to eat.

The other one did drink on Saturday but not since and just taken about 2 dandelion leaves.

diet all fresh food, lettuce,cucumber, peas, sweetcorn, runnerbeans(only a few) cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and any dandelions I can find.

Each of the vivs is set up with 75w sun glo and 30w tube.

I have sent off for vitamin and calcium supplements which hopefully I

should receive today.

All bulbs are new vivs set up last Friday they are controlled by a thermostat at 13 degrees centigrade and I was told to bring it up slowly

over the next few weeks.

Hope this helps

Oenwen

Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
Thank-you for the information. The diet you are feeding is not good at all. You have a lot of sugar in the corn, Plain lettuce is all water cabbage and cauliflower are off on the Ca:p ratio and carrots can actually caus eye problems. Tortoises need a high fiber diet that is balanced. you can offer some Oxbow Salad Style which has grass hays and weeds. Below is a correction on fresh veggies that can be fed.
Romaine lettuce
Red and green leaf lettuce
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
These are plants and weeds that can be fed:
Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Hosta
Sedum
Mulberry leaves
Hen and Chicks
Ice Plants
Prickly pear flowers, fruit and pads (burn the spines off)
Dandelion
Plantain (the weed plantago major)
Mallow (flowers and leaves)
Henbit
Rose (flowers and leaves)
Chrysanthemum flowers
CornflowersPlagiobothrys ssp
Forsythia (flowers and leaves)
One of the things we need to do is get the tortoise warmed well and well hydrated. It is extremely important that temperatures are maintained in order to speed up tortoise’s digestive system. As the tortoise has chemicals to release into the bloodstream it is called glycogen, which is stored in the liver. This chemical gives energy to when coming out of hibernation. You need to be sure the tortoises eats before the Glycogen is used up after hybernation. If they do not eat they can rapidly go down hill. You can give water with glucose in it daily. Use about 2 teaspoons per 250 ml of water and feed l0 to 20 ml per day per tortosie. This can be done for 3 to 4 days. You can also do soaks in Dioralyte and warm water 50/50 for hydration. The tortoises need to eat within a week of coming out of hibernation. If they do not there is something more going on and need to be seen by a Herp Vet to be checked out and jumpstarted. Parasites can bloom if not eating and the chemistry is not correct for the hibernation.
If you do not have a Vet that can treat the tortoises, I am going to give you links for Herp Vets:
http://www.tortsmad.com/vets.htm
http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/vetscorner/vetlist
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/Vets.php#
Right now the key is to hydrate as directed and to try the different foods and if not responding then a Herp Vet visit asap.
Joan